Hi friends! The amazing writers of the Contemporary Romance Writers of America Stiletto Contest for Unpublished Romantic Fiction is now open! Check out the deets!
Stiletto Contest for Unpublished Contemporary Fiction
2014 Contest Information
OPEN FOR ENTRIES – ENTER NOW
We’re excited to bring back the Stiletto Contest devoted strictly to unpublished manuscripts ready to be discovered! With industry professional final judges and 3 preliminary judges per manuscript, your entry will receive exposure, consideration, and feedback.
The 2014 Stiletto Contest is now open and closes at midnight on September 5, 2014.
2014 Contest Timeline:
- August 1: Contest Opens to Entries – ENTER NOW!!
- September 5: Contest Closes to Entries
- September 12 – October 10: First Round Judging
- ~ October 17: Finalists Announced
- October 24 – November 15: Finalist Judging
- ~ December 1: Winners Announced
Note: Categories that receive less than 10 entries will be cancelled. Entrants will have the option of naming a second/alternate category or receiving a refund of their entry fee. Specified word lengths are estimated finished length.
Single Title Contemporary Romance (70,000 words and up)
- A love story set in the contemporary/modern world in which the romance is the main focus of the novel and it has an optimistic or happy ending.
- Final Judge: Amanda Bergeron, Editor, Avon Romance
Single Title Contemporary Erotic Romance (70,000 words and up)
- A love story set in the contemporary/modern world in which sexual situations and the sexual relationship of the characters is fundamental to plot and characterization. May use explicit language and contain graphic descriptions. The erotic romance is the main focus of the novel and it has an optimistic or happy ending.
- Final Judge: Christa Desir, Editor, Samhain Publishing
Short Contemporary Romance (40,000 – 70,000 words)
- A shorter love story set in the contemporary/modern world in which the romance is the main focus of the novel and it has an optimistic or happy ending.
- Final Judge: Alethea Spiridon Hopson, Editorial Director of Indulgence, Entangled
Contemporary Novel with Strong Romantic Elements (60,000 words and up)
- A story set in the contemporary/modern world that includes romantic elements (situations, relationships, etc.) but in which the romance does not have to be the main focus of the novel. Examples of possibly relevant story types include but are not limited to women’s fiction, chick lit, contemporary fiction, etc.
- Final Judge: Allison Carroll, Editor, Harlequin HQN
Young Adult Contemporary Romance (50,000 words and up)*
- A love story set in the contemporary/modern world in which a romance between adolescents is the main focus of the novel and it has an optimistic or happy ending.
- Final Judge: Margo Lipschultz, Editor, Harlequin Teen
Young Adult Contemporary Novel with Romantic Elements (50,000 words and up)*
- A story set in the contemporary/modern world centered around adolescent characters that includes romantic elements (situations, relationships, etc.) but in which the romance does not have to be the main focus of the novel.
- Final Judge: Elizabeth Poteet, Assistant Editor, St. Martin’s Press
New Adult Contemporary Romance (70,000 words and up)
- A love story set in the contemporary/modern world in which a romance usually involving at least one college-aged character (i.e., 18-24) is the main focus of the novel and it has an optimistic or happy ending.
- Final Judge: Nicole Fischer, Editor, William Morrow Books
*The Stiletto Contest reserves the right to combine these categories if less than 10 entries per category are entered.
Rules and Eligibility:
Questions? Please contact our Contest Coordinator, Lisa Siefert at lisalisalisalisalisa (at) gmail (dot) com.
NOTE: As long as your payment and entry form are time stamped before September 6 (i.e. can be any time on September 5th or before), your entry will be accepted into the contest. Our coordinators will be working to make sure you receive a contest confirmation email as soon as possible.
All authors, regardless of publishing status, are welcome to enter this contest. All authors must be at least 18 years of age.
Submitted manuscripts must be new, original works of fiction that have not been published, self-published, or contracted to be published. Manuscripts must meet the word count minimums, as described in the corresponding Category section.
Authors may enter as many manuscripts as they choose, but each manuscript may be entered in only one category.
Each category must have a minimum of 10 entries to remain a part of this contest. RWA-CRW reserves the right to close a category if we receive less than 10 entries or more than 50 entries in that category.
- First 25 pages of manuscript
- Double-spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 point font, Times New Roman or Courier New.
- Do not include the author’s name in the manuscript.
- Please include in your header: TITLE / Category / Page # (Do not include your name on any page of the entered manuscript.)
- Document must be in .rtf/.doc/.docx format.
- Each entry will receive email confirmation of their submission from the respective category coordinator.
- First-round judging will be done by three trained judges. RWA-CRW will make every effort to have a published author judge in every group.
- The lowest of the three scores will be dropped.
- Judges are allowed to enter a category they are NOT judging.
- Final Judges will include at least one editor in each category.
- Please note that all decisions of the judges are final.
- $25 members/$35 non-members
- Payment via PayPal only (available starting August 1, when the contest opens)
- Contest Entry deadline – September 5, 2014 11:59pm, EST
- Finalists announced – On or around December 1, 2014
- Winners will be announced on the RWA-CRW website
- All finalists will receive a website badge, an ad in RWR, and a free RWA-CRW class of their choice.
- All winners and finalists will be announced on the RWA-CRW website.
HOW TO ENTER
- Pay entry fee using the corresponding Paypal button at the CRWA website http://contemporaryromance.org/stiletto-contest/
- Submit your entry (following guidelines above) to StilettoContest (at) gmail (dot) com
- Repeat for each entry – you may enter as many manuscripts as you want but you may not enter the same manuscript into multiple categories
Thanks and good luck to everyone!